Below are some resources for transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming individuals and their allies.
If you are aware of other resources that should be on this list, please email us.
- I AM: Trans People Speak: Video stories a campaign created by the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) and sponsored by GLAAD to raise awareness about the diversity of transgender communities. It lifts the voices of transgender individuals, as well as their families, friends, and allies.
- The Trevor Project: Trans + Gender Identity: A helpful guide to “Gender 101,” with information on gender roles, transgender identities, proper terminology, and transphobia. The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ people under 25.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: Resources to learn more about issues impacting the trans community, as well as resources for members of the trans community around their legal rights.
Organizations to Support
- Transgender Emergency Fund of Massachusetts: Provides critical assistance for low-income and homeless transgender people in Massachusetts
- Boston GLASS: GLASS provides a continuum of services to LGBTQ+ youth of color (18-29) and their allies in the Greater Boston and Greater Framingham areas. (GLASS use of LGBTQ+ includes “lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, Two-Spirit, intersex, asexual, pansexual, people living with HIV, and other sexual and gender minorities.”)
- Marsha P. Johnson Institute: The MPJI protects and defends the human rights of Black transgender people, through organizing, advocating, creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership, and promoting the collective power of Black transgender people. Named after Marsha P. Johnson, an activist, self-identified drag queen, performer, survivor, and a prominent figure in the Stonewall uprising of 1969.
- The Okra Project: The Okra Project is “a collective that seeks to address the global crisis faced by Black Trans people by bringing home cooked, healthy, and culturally specific meals and resources to Black Trans People wherever we can reach them.”
- Transgender Coronavirus Guide: This resource from the National Center for Transgender Equality addresses important issues that trans people and the LGBTQ community face during the pandemic.
- Mass General Hospital Transgender Health Program
- Fenway Health: Located in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood, Fenway Health seeks “to enhance the wellbeing of the LGBTQIA+ community and all people in our neighborhoods and beyond through access to the highest quality health care, education, research and advocacy.
- GLMA (nationwide): The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association offers a list of transgender health resources for both patients and healthcare providers.
Mental Health/Assistance in Crisis
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860. A grassroots hotline and non-profit organization offering direct emotional and financial support to trans people in crisis.
- The Trevor Project : Get help now via TrevorLifeline (866-4-U TREVOR or 866-488-7386). Trevor Chat, the online messaging service, or TrevorText.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Outside the United States:
- GLAD (GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders)
- Trans Youth Handbook: Published by the Harvard Law School LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic (HLAC) and the National Center for Lesbian Rights, a first-of-its-kind legal resource guide for transgender youth in the United States.
- Transgender Legal Services Network: The Network brings together over 80 organizations serving trans communities to ensure that every transgender person has access to assistance navigating the complicated name and gender change process and any other legal issues they may face.
- Transgender Law Center
- Lambda Legal: Resource page includes a Transgender Rights Toolkit, a legal guide for trans people and their advocates.
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund
- American Civil Liberties Union
- National Center for Lesbian Rights – Transgender Law
- MillionMileSecrets: Tips for Traveling While Transgender